设为首页收藏本站

科技网

发动机建造 Kiwi Mk2(绝对精华)

[复制链接]
 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 05:29:04 | 显示全部楼层
Drilled and reamed some holes in the rear crankcase casting. First dismantled the crankcase and clamped the rear crankcase casting to the mill table. First hole I needed to do was for the camshaft. Centre drilled, drilled and reamed the 8mm hole in the timing cover (photo 1). I then removed the timing cover and at the same setting, centre drilled drilled and reamed another 8mm hole in the crankcase (photo 2). I then drilled and reamed two 5mm vent holes in the casting (photo 3).
Put the casting on the surface plate and marked the spot for the tappet guide hole (photo 4).

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 05:29:22 | 显示全部楼层
I then located the 10mm crankshaft hole I had in the timing cover and opened it up to 11mm using an 11mm slot drill.

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 05:29:56 | 显示全部楼层
I have been working on the camshaft bushes. I used a piece of bronze that came with the kit and turned both bushes. I then drilled and reamed a 5mm hole in each bush and then pressed both bushes in their respective places. The long bush in the timing cover and the short one in the crankcase. I don't have a press so used the mill to press the bushes.

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 05:30:15 | 显示全部楼层
And both bushes pressed in place. I fitted the timing cover to the crankcase to check if a piece of 5mm silver steel passes through both bushes. No problems.

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 05:31:08 | 显示全部楼层
I made the shaft which holds the cams and gear as per plan except I used a 6mm rod and turned the ends 5mm (photo 1). Well, it has to be remade . The central 6mm part is about 1.2mm short and the 5mm end which will hold the ignition cam is about 2 or 3mm short. Could it be a mistake in the dimensions? I'm not really sure and I did not bother to investigate. Good thing I noticed it now.
Instead of remaking the shaft I made the hole which takes the tappet guide. Hand fitted the tappet guide to be a tight fit and drilled and tapped the 3mm holes which hold the tappet guide to the cylinder platform.
Tomorrow I'm off to Munich but whilst there I will study George's tutorial on making crankshafts. Most probably that will be my next item. I will also need to figure out how to make a 2mm keyway in a 6mm hole . Any suggestions?

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-24 05:31:34 | 显示全部楼层
Finally back home from freezing Munich. Whilst there, I decided that the next part to be made (actually attempted) will be the crankshaft. I had a good look at George's tutorial about making crankshafts and got a couple ideas from the tutorial . I will be making the first attempt from flat barstock that came with the kit. If that fails, then I will try and fabricate it. Both methods are described in Westbury's article.
First order of the day is to make the tool to turn the crankshaft. It has to have a reach of at least 1.25". I have an HSS parting tool that I have never used (see photos) and was wondering if it's a suitable candidate to transform into a bifurcated tool. The tip of the parting tool is 5mm wide and the lenght of the crankpin is 12.7mm. What do you think?

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-25 08:18:37 | 显示全部楼层
Started attempt No.1 on the crankshaft. Used the flat bar which came with the kit and scribed some lines on it. The lines are not very visible in the photo. Also started grinding the crankshaft turning tool from the parting tool.

发动机建造

发动机建造


Continued grinding the parting tool and finally finished it. Did some test cuts with it and had to set it below centreline to avoid chatter and to give a decent cut. Not really happy with it but I guess it will have to do for now.

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-25 08:19:19 | 显示全部楼层
Centre-drilled the sides of the bar for the live and dead centres then chain drilled the inside of the webs. Used a hacksaw and coping saw to remove the material. Most probably later on I will mill the inside of the webs to clean it up.

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-25 08:20:36 | 显示全部楼层
Cleaned up the insides of the webs on the milling machine. Set it up in the lathe between centres. Used a live centre in the tailstock and a dead centre in the headstock spindle. Bolted an 8mm threaded bar in the chuck backplate and fixed the part to be machined between centres with a nylon tie-wrap. Started machining the crankpin but stopped at 10.1mm. Next time I will continue machining the crankpin to 9.95mm.

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

 楼主| 发表于 2014-4-25 08:22:24 | 显示全部楼层
Finished the crankpin to dimension. Started work on one of the main journals. Chain drilled and hacksawed the excess material. Inserted a brass packing piece inside the webs and just to make sure it does not fly off I secured it with a nylon tie-wrap. Drilled and tapped 6mm a hole on the side and screwed in a 6mm bolt. Put the piece between centres and secured the bolt with nylon tie-wrap (third photo). Turned down to 10mm and then the end was turned down to 8mm. To turn the 8mm section I had to change the live centre to a half dead centre as the tool was fouling with the live centre.
One side finished but the sides of the web turned out a bit rough. Most probably when doing the other side I will mill the sides of the web first before putting it between centres.

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

发动机建造

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

辽公网安备 21100402204006号|科技网 ( 辽ICP备07501385号-1   

GMT+8, 2019-11-20 23:39

Powered by tech-domain X3.4 Licensed

© 2001-2017 Comsenz Inc.

快速回复 返回顶部 返回列表